Friday, November 13, 2009

the end of swimming for now.....

I am totally behind.....on the eve of yet another weekend I am just getting to writing about last.....when I really should be catching zzzz's! I already posted some swim team pictures back at the beginning of the fall swim season - but just wanted to wrap up the kids' seven month swimming stint with a last hurrah. Yes - I said seven months! Seven months of swimming 3 times a week and 4 meets later we are hanging up the swimming suits - for the holiday season at least. I don't think you'll hear any complaints from the younger siblings.......though they were exceptionally patient at meets and as you can see from the pictures: excellent cheerleaders!

I have to say the swim team experience has transformed our two aquastars in neat ways. They raced their best in all 4 strokes this season. We have watched Madison mature and become focused and dedicated in working toward her goals. I have observed a new diligence in her schoolwork as a result I think of her swim workouts. It has been a great stretching experience for her. She has definite resolve and perseverance. In every meet there were sometimes up to 50 girls in her races and even though she was not placing in the top of the pack, she always came out of the pool with a smile. I really admire that. Ryan began the season grabbing the lane line or stopping every few strokes for a breath. As an 8 yr.old he was at the bottom of his age group (8-10) but determined to give he each race his all. He was admittedly very nervous at the meets - but still plunged into the cold water for the sake of his competitive spirit and his quest for a medal or ribbon......He ended the season in the top 20 in all his races - blistering through without "stopping for a breath!"

I am amazed at what happens when it seems the kids are being intensely challenged and we decide to gently encourage them to continue to work through their fears. I am always 100% glad we pressed through it. They seem to emerge on the other side of the trial more confident and with new character lessons learned......well worth the effort.

Keep the boy fed and he is happy

3 joyful cheerleaders!
They are serious about their role here......

Bravery if you ask me - this water is not warm......

This girl swims one great breaststroke!

A boy has got to see where he is going!

There is no more pause for the breathing now!


No comments: