
It is 5am and drizzling rain outside. Merl and I are assessing the situation. Optimistic hubby says - let's go for it - we came all this way to see the balloons! The not morning person pessimistic wife says - I want to go back to bed.....but since she tries to be a good sport went along with it. So.....we wake up 4 sleeping children and most of them eagerly dress.....except for Jonathan who is particularly opposed to wearing the jeans I am trying to put on him. He claims he's never seen these "shorts" before! (Yes - it is so hot in Arizona that a toddler does not even remember pants from season to season!) We pile in the van and get to the site where it is about 42 degrees and still drizzling - trudge out to the field and see all the vehicles and balloon baskets waiting for the pilots to return from the morning briefing. Eventually the word: Flights cancelled today. OK - plan B. I think I only said "I told you so" one or two times......I know - too many but an improvement for me! We get home before 8 am just about and prepare for the rest of the day. Later that morning on the way to another activity, Jonathan even said, "Hey guys, we forgot to see the balloons today!" Poor kid - thinks his parents drug him out to a strange place in the rain to turn around and go home for what? It rains most of the day and into the night - so I think my optimistic husband thought maybe he'd try realism and we agreed to sleep in the morning and try to go on our last shot, Sunday.
"Don't worry, brother.....you'll feel your fingers soon. We'll see balloons another day."
The next morning at 7am Ryan burst into our room - "Why didn't you wake us up? It is beautiful outside - not a cloud in the sky - I can see the balloons!" (G & G live right near the field.) OK - so there you have it....impossible to make a sound decision on what to do! So we watched from the roof - though that day the balloons went South instead of West toward us.
Still beautiful from a distance
The following day, Sunday, proved to be a decent chance. We repeated the process to a T of a few days before and even made it out to the field by Dawn Patrol - one of my favorite parts of the morning. This is at 5:45-6amish when the first several balloons go up before sunrise to sort of test the conditions. Awesome! It almost always brings me to tears because it is such a unique sight - and it signifies that we made it in time for Mass Ascension!

Dawn patrol

Awesome....
OK - so the whole routine causes me a little stress - but it is worth it....nothing like it really....being out there with balloons filling all around you. Cool.
The beginning of Mass Ascension (the first weekend 550 balloons went up the first day)

One person tethers on the opposite end of the balloon until it is full....

Up they go....

Wow...
Not the perfect photography day as the sun was behind the clouds most of the time and some gray sky.....but I'll take it anyway.




3 comments:
Once again, love reading your posts :) there is something really great about hot air balloons!
Oh my word! These are fantastic! Really, super good! I love you and miss you like crazy! My parents have been in town so we've been busy doing stuff but I plan on calling you later this week to catch up. Love seeing your faces and the traditional balloon post. I can see such improvement in your shots! SQUEEZE!
Cool :) Thanks for posting!
Adela
Post a Comment