Thursday, November 29, 2012



     Four years ago I wrote my first "birthday blog" for Madison.....it is now a tradition that I am so thankful to have started - it is a time to honor each child and celebrate the life each one lives and their individual gifts.  It is fun to look back and see the joy each one radiates!  Madison Joy is no exception.....and this year we celebrate her 14th year!  It was 14 years ago I left my passion and career to begin a new life at home with our little one.  Oh how I thought I knew it all.  Now Madison is the one who "knows it all!"  : )

That is a joke of course - people talk about dreading the teenage years but it is privilege and a blessing to have one in this house!  Actually it is Madison that seems to want to hold on to her childhood and savor it.  That's fine with me.  Plenty of time to be a grown up!  Her heart is to enjoy life and people for sure - but she sure does have a serious side as well!

Even though we are still homeschooling, the highlight of each week for Madison is attending her Classical Conversations - Challenge group each Wednesday from 9-4 pm.  Each week she goes to share with her classmates what they've learned from their studies in Geography, Latin, Science, Math, Language Arts, and Rhetoric.  This has been a challenge for all of us as we adjust to the workload.  Madison has handled it like such a trooper - never giving up or being discouraged - staying up late to finish her work or do it well.  She doesn't stress or worry like her mother - in fact she is the one trying to tell me to be more positive.  I am learning from her!  We are thankful for this opportunity and the friendships and relationships she has enjoyed there. Of course she still enjoys our PE class and her book club friends too.  She is so blessed!


 This year Madison took a special interest in the election and following the views and beliefs of both candidates.......we realized that she will just be 3 weeks shy of voting in the next presidential election.  Ugh!


Almost a year ago we went to a Christmas performance at Experience Arts School to watch a friend perform in "aerial."  I was also checking the school out for ballet for Allie - but Madison tagged along. When she saw the aerial she fell in love and begged to do it.  I did not think her risk management father would go for her dangling high in the air from a silk......but sure enough he said yes!  This month is her second performance in a year.


This girl loves her dog.  Around 3 years ago we adopted Aslan, the Rhodesian Ridgeback and it's been true love for them since.  I am so thankful that she handles most of his care.  He is one lucky dog.



I have always said Madison is a natural with kids. I say she is like the Pied Piper......whatever she says they just line up and do it!  She thinks of the most amazing things to say to them to get their attention.  This summer when our church held an 8 - week vacation bible school (one time per week), Madison and a friend organized and ran the recreation and snack portion of the evening.  I was impressed with the way she planned out each night's activity for all the different ages of kids from 3-12.  She definitely has an event planning knack that I was not born with!


The birthday parties she has thrown for her brothers and sister were such fun.  I know I am biased but this is a true gift!  It is neat to see her get such joy out of gifting others this way.....

                                                     

Every day is not all roses with the siblings but I like to catch things when it is.....once Madison gets an idea of how she can serve someone else, watch out.  I love the times when she bakes with the little ones and last Christmas when she and Ryan decided they were going to put the Christmas tree together  and hang the Christmas lights for dad.


I also asked Madison to join me in my volunteer work at Hope Women's Center this year.  She has helped with a few events there - bringing her friends along with her to energetically serve.  They have such a sweet time!  It is a privilege to serve alongside her.

We praise God for another year to nurture this special one and watch her grow in spirit and character. Each year we continue to pray the same scripture we chose for her on her birthday. We love you, Madison!

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit."  Romans 15:13





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures and thoughts that highlight gifts and blessings of Madison with praise to God. Thanks for sharing!

Love,

Adela