Sunday, November 23, 2008

our new addition





Well I have been waiting to post about this for awhile but now the time has come!  Meet the newest "member" of the household - Aslan.  After about 3 months of research, decision making, and waiting we picked Aslan up on Friday.  I will try to give the short version....(OK so maybe there is no "short version" for me but I'll try).  Aslan is a 4 year old Rhodesian Ridgeback who belonged to a single young man in our church.  Several months ago the man went on the mission field and placed Aslan with a friend.  A few months after that we found out Aslan needed another home and met him.  After the meeting we thought it would be like putting a wild horse in our house!  We were in love with him but not sure he was the right dog for us.  So......he went to a "Rhodesian Ridgeback Rescue" group - into foster care.  I know ......  bare with me ..... I have not switched from being passionate about children in foster care and adoption to dogs......only briefly!  While in foster care he was neutered, received a heavy dose of daily exercise, and attention.  We researched Rhodesian Ridgebacks, had a home visit with the rescue group, and waited to hear if we were "the best family for Aslan."  Yes.....this is humorous that me - the adoption social worker who did this for years had the tables turned on her!  

Insert strong statement: "I am in NO WAY comparing this the the grueling and emotional process of adopting a precious child." End of statement and back to the story.....

Finally a few weeks ago we were asked if we wanted him - even though he is proficient at escaping from a crate and at counter surfing......we decided we could still love him despite these things.....

So here we are......yes I know some of you are shaking your heads - "Goodness girl - you have your hands full enough" or "My that is a big mouth to feed!" or "Whoa!  He is a big dog!"  or "We are never coming to visit you again!" But so it is.....Aslan is a different dog from the one we met three months ago!  Wow has he mellowed out - and has just a sweet disposition!  Don't worry - I haven't forgotten my schooling.  I realize we are in the "honeymoon period!"  Either way our first weekend has been fun.

As soon as Aslan got into the van when we picked him up, he curled up into the front seat and went to sleep!  We took him on a walk as soon as we got home and found out he seems to know how to "heel" fairly well - pleasant surprise!  Allison kept walking around the house saying "he is fixed now (meaning neutered)."  I spent a lot of time watching my back in the kitchen paranoid he'd snatch something but actually he settled on his bed and slept most of the night.  Saturday morning was a bit more of a challenge since Merl was gone but we managed.....took him for a walk and gave him a bath!  He was a pro - stood nice and still in the bath tub like a gentleman.  I don't think it is high on his list for favorite activities but he was good.  Later I was busy doing something with Aslan when I heard swishing in the laundry room.....hmmmm....and there was Jonathan crouched over Aslan's bowl drinking his water just like a dog!   Aargh!  Later that night we actually (the kids and I and Aslan) picked mom and dad up from the airport! Aslan seemed happy to meet his new grandparents and they liked him I think!  As I type right now he is sleeping like a king on his bed in the girls' room.  I am sure he is pooped because he went running with Merl this morning and roller blading with the family tonight!  He should have a full stomach too....because while I was gawking at my new nephew on the computer screen, Alsan gulped down an unidentified number of tortillas off the counter!  Merl thought the package was almost full, but Madison thought it might only have had a few in it.  Either way there was 1/4th of a tortilla left when Madison wrestled it away from him!  All in all it was a calm and fun day for all - he seems to be a nice addition to our life.  We are shocked at how mellow he is and his disposition is patient and fun with the kids.  S0 - no doubt there will be future posts about Aslan and his adventures in the Miller family!

1 comment:

Beth said...

Cute dog! Yeah, you'll have your hands full, but it should be great fun for the kids. LOL, with all the adoption analogies! :o)