Wednesday, July 8, 2009

essential truths of authentic christianity


I have written and rewritten this post 4 times. The only way to do justice to what is on my heart is really to type word for word what I've been reading in "Real Christianity". So here it goes.....just kidding......I won't type out the whole 200 page book! I am realizing there is really not even a way to pare it down or make it short. What he is writing about just seems so applicable today in our world.

Most people know the basic truths of the Christian faith and have heard them over and over but it doesn't mean "that those who know these things intellectually have a deep understanding of their significance or experience their transforming influence in their lives. The appropriate response to these facts would be one of great excitement, true humility, hatred of sin, humble hope, firm faith, heavenly joy, ardent love and unceasing gratitude!" (p.42)

Wilberforce says here is the problem with the experience of those who hold to a cultural Christianity. "If they do not come to terms with their desperate spiritual condition, they cannot understand the infinite value of what Jesus Christ has done nor respond to it appropriately. Their lives are filled, as Jesus said, with the business and vanities of this life." (p.43)

Wilberforce asks, "What does it mean to love God?" then says, "True love is passionate. "Cold love" and "unfelt gratitude" are contradictions. When we love someone, we like to talk about him or her......we want to be with them. We delight in doing things for them. We love to show them how we feel. The mention of their name makes our hearts pound and our faces light up.......Authentic faith responds to the work of Jesus Christ in just such a way." (p.44)

IS MY FAITH AUTHENTIC? Who do I talk about the most? Who do I spend the most time with - or what do I spend most of my time doing? Do I delight in doing my daily tasks for the glory of God? Do my actions and words show my true love for Jesus? Time for some soul searching.

No comments: