Tuesday, August 25, 2009

deep thoughts of a 4 year old


I had to share this little conversation - I don't know - is it a breech of confidentiality? ....but I just love to see inside the heart of a small child , questioning. As I am putting Allie to bed after a short little conflict with her big sister (not a big deal and worked out) Allie gives a big sigh and says...."This life is so hard." Me - "What part of life?" Allie - "Trying to obey Jesus and then just my sins keep happening! It is so hard to love other people."

Oh child but you have hit the nail on the head! You are so right! What a struggle this life is in the flesh - but what a privilege to be able to snuggle and remind her of God's mighty power thru the Holy Spirit and Jesus' victory over sin - so that eventually in eternity we will not have this battle! God's grace is sufficient and God's power can change us and transform us! Jesus proved his love for us by dying on the cross so that we could live eternally with him!

"What a relief," she says after I tell her tomorrow is a new day and she can attempt to love others better.

"People were bringing little children to Jesus to have him touch them, but the disciples rebuked them. When Jesus saw this, he was indignant. He said to them, Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." An he took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them." Mark 10:20

If only I could trust God with the simplicity and receptivity of a small child.......complete understanding is not one of her requirements. "Jesus said that people should believe in him with a childlike faith - we don't need to understand all the mysteries of the universe; it should be enough to know that God loves us and provides forgiveness for our sin." (Life Application Bible notes) If only my heart was as tender and open to God's love. God's love is total (Eph. 3:17-19). If only God was my first love (Matt. 6:24; 10:37). If only I loved God more than the praise of men (John 12:43) and earthly belongings (Luke 16: 19-31)!

Today my love lesson was courtesy of a 4 year old - which drove me back to looking at all that scripture says about love. It is vast - too much to type. But the gentle reminder to me:

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength......Love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31)

1 comment:

Sherri said...

What a great lesson! Allie seems so precious! I wish Elise could take some lessons from your kiddos! Give them hugs for us :D