Sunday, September 13, 2009

Absolute One


"Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who became His counselor? Or who has first given to Him that it might be paid back to Him again? For from Him that it might be paid back to Him again? For from Him and through Him and to Him are all things. To Him be the glory forever. Amen." Romans 11:33-36

This was what moved me today as I read to prepare for small group tonight:

"We must all come to the place in our lives where we realize that we are dealing with One who is outside of our control. His will is not subject to ours. God sovereignly elects. He cannot be changed. He cannot be challenged. He cannot be manipulated. He cannot be controlled. This is a frightening thing. I am completely subject to the sovereign mercy of this God. I cannot argue with Him. I cannot bargain with Him. I cannot even understand Him. He transcends my logic. he exceeds all the categories of my experience and even my imagination. His ways are 'unfathomable'. I may be one of the great ones of the earth. I may have great power and authority in this world. When I bark orders, people may fall all over themselves trying to obey. I may always get what I want. I may always get my way. But with God this pattern comes to a screeching halt. His is in absolute control and I am helplessly at His mercy." Terry L. Johnson, "When Grace Comes Home"

Do I know this God? Have I bowed in worship as a result of looking into the face of this One?

No comments: