Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Saying good-bye

Even when someone dies at 97 years old.....it is hard to say goodbye.....my Grandpa Spence, who passed away a few weeks ago would have been 98 on May 19, 2010! My Grandma Robison died at the age of 96 a little over one year ago, and her husband, my Grandpa Robison died just short of his 99th birthday a few months ago. Regardless of their advanced ages, their deaths seemed premature. Grandma and Grandpa Robison lived out of state, but up until about 10 years ago lived within visiting distance of me.

Grandpa Spence was a big part of our lives here in Arizona. He loved hearing about what the rest of us were doing - and always had something to add to the conversation. I am thankful that I visited with my grandparents as often as I did the past 40 years they have been a part of my life. Sometimes I would try and ask Grandpa about when he was younger and listen to his stories about life.

This past weekend as my family gathered to remember him I was wishing we had brought out the old pictures, journals, and writings by him BEFORE he'd died so I could converse with him about them. Too bad they were packed away in boxes instead of out where I would have been prompted to talk to him about them. How many times do we gather as families and talk about the weather, sports, or ourselves instead of asking about our heritage?

I am thankful for the way my extended family (and Merl's family for that matter) works to stay connected. It is A LOT of work and effort - and at times we even get irritated with one another. But it is worth it - our time here on this side of eternity is short. Relationships ARE worth it - and letting my own self-centeredness or absorption get in the way is a waste! Visiting with cousins and relatives, I realized it is worth it to make time for an extra email, phone call, or even road trip.

As I reflected on how much I miss Grandpa I felt at peace that I had done the best I could to love him. I may not have always talked as much as I could have to him, but I tried to connect with him. My family has always felt it is important to express our love to one another each time we talk. People might think it is silly, but I cannot remember ONE time in my whole life I have left my parents or grandparents house and they did not stand in the driveway and wave goodbye.

I recalled the last time I saw Grandpa before he died....... I was thankful that even though I had done it maybe one hundred times before......I walked him out to the car and gave him a kiss good-bye. We don't always know when it is the last......

Grandpa Spence as a youngster


Grandma and Grandpa Spence were married 73 years!

After both lost their first spouses, Grandma and Grandpa Robison were married and celebrated 59 years of marriage

No comments: