Saturday, April 3, 2010

soccer days

In March Madison and Ryan began their second soccer season......we have enjoyed a church soccer league that is right down the street for the past 4 or 5 years.....close by, good schedule, and easy to be with friends. This year we decided to work it so they would play on the same team. We did not enjoy running back and forth between games last time and thought it would be a good experience for them to be involved in an activity where they would work together with the opportunity to be an encouragement to one another.

Can I just say that I LOVE watching the kids play sports? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! Doesn't matter that it is not track which is my first passion - doesn't matter if it is baseball, swimming, basketball, football, or soccer - I have delighted in them all! I am trying not to be too vocal on the sideline.....but I have to admit I feel better when I yell -(encouragement of course!). I would so enjoy competing with them! I am attempting to put my energy into taking good pictures and video......at least when I video I am motivated not to yell so I don't have to hear my annoying voice on the recording!

Madison we have discovered is quite the goal keeper!!!! She is is aggressive with coming to the front of the box and picking up the ball when she can - and then quick kicking it down the field - and boy can she kick! The first game after I told her how impressed I was with her kick she replied with a smile, "You can thank Ryan for that - all those days in the backyard he wanted me to punt the football to him so he could run it back - he had to teach me how to kick it."


Some kicking action - but her drop kick is the real impressive one.....

She saves it!

Madison still plays mid-field once in a while - but the coach has discovered that forward is the place for Ryan who is ALWAYS looking for a chance at the ball and an opportunity to dribble downfield for a score! So fun to watch his intensity.....

Here he is JUST before he scores his 1st of 2 goals in this game!

I have to acknowledge that the "non-competitiveness" of the league is testing my patience. This ambitious mom just loves the thrill of a faster paced game! And I don't feel any need to live out "unachieved" dreams of my own through the kids - I was blessed to be able to play college sports......I guess I am just fanatical about seeing our kids have fun, work hard, and compete. Love it......

No comments: