Monday, May 3, 2010

versatility


Versatility......I think it sounds much more grand and mature than flexibility - or adaptability. If one were to take a college course for it maybe it would be called "Versatility Studies 101". Is there a university that offers anything like that? Maybe mine did but since at the age of 18-21 I knew all there was to know I overlooked it. In actuality I think most of us are fairly compromising when we don't have a spouse or kids - whatever is good for ME goes. So maybe a college course on this topic wouldn't fly.

It seems to me however, there are a lot of character lessons I am learning in the latter part of life that really would have been easier to learn at a younger age. It has also become evident that one of the primary lessons learned in a homeschool is, in fact.....flexibility. I realize this lesson can be learned elsewhere - our homeschool is clearly the place I am learning the art of adaptability.

Those of us who have a high need to write everything down and know the plan are particularly susceptible to difficulty in this area. We are prime for a complete meltdown when the agenda needs to be altered.

Today was such a situation. I had this week all planned out - at least my target goals, you know. The only problem was......I didn't pencil in around 4 hours for taking the dog to 3 different vets - with all the kids in tow! I won't torture anyone with the story - it really isn't that interesting and in fact I didn't even throw a fit like normal!

Why? I am trying to practice joy in all circumstances you see.....testing 1,2,3. Wow, and guess what? Since I didn't have a cow, neither did the kids. They were unbelievably patient - almost impossibly. Thank goodness for McDonald's ice cream cones at the end of the long haul!

After returning home I could not seem to reel everyone in for school time.......therefore, plan B was put into motion. Today we studied flexibility.......Definition: ready and able to change so as to adapt to different circumstances. Suggested response: positive attitude - raised voices not recommended. Line of defense: Be ready to launch another plan.

There are other "arts" I'd rather study than that of versatility.....or having joy in unforseen circumstances.....but it is evident those were not on the syllabus today. That's ok.......God is still GOOD.....and I am still learning!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful! You amaze me with your openness and deep insights into the way God uses everyday things in life to shape us. Love you.