Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sandia Peak Tramway



Saturday morning our first activity was to be tourists in Albuquerque - something we rarely do! The Sandia Peak Tramway is the world's longest passenger tramway. It was constructed between 1964-1966 at a cost of 2 million dollars. It is a Double Reversible Aerial Tramway. Five thousand helicopter trips were made during construction of Tower 2 and the cable installation!



The view from the bottom of the tram looking up.....

One of the views along the way up......


The gorgeous view from the top.....



A view of Albuquerque



The backside of the mountain - the ski slope!



View on the way down the mountain




Almost to the bottom......


The tram ride takes about 14 minutes and climbs 2.7 miles and over 7,700 feet! The kids loved it - I have to admit - I don't thoroughly enjoy dangling 1,000 feet from the ground....but I will sacrifice something for a good view and awesome pictures.....but only in a secure car with sides all the way around it!

No comments: