It is days like this that make "it" all worth it. "It" being hour after hour of lesson planning, long nights of curriculum research, and the locking horns with my children who think I am a slave driver when I am asking them to simply do their math. "It" would be homeschooling. Often I wonder if "it" will be profitable. Profitability is difficult to measure.... good thing there are days when I can sit back at the end and be amazed and thankful. The older the kids get, the more I realize the less I am in control.....this is often a relief. I am beginning to comprehend that regardless of my mistakes and failures, God does in fact have a plan for these precious vessels - and he is cultivating character in them. I take pleasure in watching this process.
This is Madison's third year participating in a literature club - and her second with the current group of girls. What a blessing they are! Each year Madison has taken more responsibility when we host - we really work as a team on it - makes for a lighter load thanks to her creative abilities and other skills! Our book for discussion was Caddie Woodlawn.....I was stumped on what to do for an activity or theme....but Madison came through with wonderful thoughts and began research on things to do. I love how she has an eye to put things together (something I often lack) - and how she has the confidence and perseverance to keep working at her task until she is pleased with it. Since the Woodlawn children get tired of eating turkey everyday in the book - she chose a "turkey" theme - and we decided to emphasize hosting Thanksgiving . We wanted to share our love of hosting others in our home and how to make guests feel welcome.
Amanda carefully reviews her chart.....

Rachel contemplates her notes.....
Rebekah shares her thoughts as Grace and Audrey look on.....and yes - I was leading the discussion while shooting pictures at the same time! Just couldn't help it - they were so purposeful and intent. After our lively conversation we moved on to making turkeys from pumpkins. One of our favorite Thanksgiving decorations is wooden turkey parts we put in a pumpkin so we thought of a way to simplify the idea.....Madison and I made a model and we went from there. Even Allie even made her own all by herself!
Nine adorable and unique turkeys!
Several of the goals of literature club for our girls is to magnify the glory of God as we cultivate character, enrich their friendships with one another, train them how to discern what they read, and develop their interests and talents. Worth the time spent in commitment and preparation - every minute.
1 comment:
This all looks and sounds so well done!!! I've wanted to do something like this with our middle daughter and am inspired by this post. Now to meet people in our new area to include in such an activity! Too bad were so far away now. I'd love to come pick your mind about how the group came together and you go to the point of having such well-structured discussions!
Post a Comment