Tuesday, October 5, 2010

rain day


Some parts of the country have snow days - sometimes we have heat advisories - but rarely do we have "rain days". Today was one of those few and far between occasions! We had been eagerly anticipating this time because it was our first day of P.E! All were motivated to finish schoolwork, fill our water bottles, and we were just about to put the leash on the dog when we got the call that P.E. was cancelled. BUMMER! I looked out the front window and the sky was relatively clear although clouds were coming....not five minutes later this was the view out our window!


And then not ten minutes more......the clouds had lifted and already the sun was coming.....What to do now? All the afternoon's plans washed away in a ten minute downpour! Hmmm, maybe we should run the errands I had planned for Thursday - yes - that's what we'll do......unless of course everyone is already out the door with their shoes off and clothes wet!


Fun and wonderful mothers love mud, puddles, and wet......those in the "other category" like me have to stand and take numerous deep breaths while counting to 100......while also telling themselves ......"I am spontaneous, I am flexible, look at the kids laughing, yes, I can do this...." Luckily, I can distract myself with taking pictures of exuberant children pretending they are racing sailboats (scrap wood) down a city gutter......






Vivacious, euphoric, joyful!

Fortunately soup was already in the crockpot, we'd just received "Get Smart" Season 1 in the mail, and there is always coffee. I don't really have to look at my floor.... or the mud now caked in every bathtub in the house. I am choosing to ignore the laundry to be folded and the "to do list". In fact, I think I'll just write a big fat "RAIN DAY" in the afternoon portion of the school calendar - and no need for a make-up day......

1 comment:

gramma said...

Another engaging write-up. You really have developed a talent. Wish I was there to play in the 'river!'
Love, ma