Thursday, December 23, 2010

my right hand helper.....and thoughts on gift giving

I love to give gifts, but the wrapping part has never been my most favorite....Gift bags in my estimation were a great invention! I was not a super mom who spent a lot of time wrapping with my kids....and really didn't do a great job early on with helping them shop for other people. Merl has always been lovingly willing to do most of the wrapping if I do the shopping. Works for me. Though he doesn't have a ton of time on his hands.

Thankfully, we have been blessed with a gifted daughter who seems to really shine in this area! This year Madison has done a fabulous job encouraging the other kids in their gift giving and packaging. She has been especially helpful in working with Allison and Jonathan to make ornaments, tags, and cards to give away.

A week or so ago when I became frustrated with tripping over wrapping and tissue paper, scissors, etc. I suggested that she help me set up a temporary wrapping area in our spare room. "Oh! I will do it all, don't even worry about it!" Worry about it I did not - and went on my way. Later in the day this is what I found.......

On the door.....

the view from the door....

let there be no question of what the instructions are.....

so many options!

organization......

this girl is hired!.....

I know there are many families who are trying to take the emphasis of gift giving away on Christmas and on the most important: Jesus Christ. We are attempting to do that too in various ways.....

But I will say - I do love seeing our kids get so excited about giving to one another - even when it is simply a pack of gum or box of crayons. It is a spirit I am hoping to bottle up and promote after December 25th.....

As for the wrapping of the gifts.....I think we are in good hands and I doubt I'll have to wrap a single package!!!!!



2 comments:

Beth said...

She's simply received THE GREATEST GIFT of all and it truly has made such a great difference in every area of her life! We can see Jesus in you, Madison!

Sarah said...

i love this--madison, i think we should start a gift-wrapping business. i would love to do something so fun for a living, and you clearly have a beautiful sense of style and presentation!