A few days ago a friend asked if I would write my own "birthday blog" since I have tried to consistently write a tribute to the kids on their birthdays. Great question. I have never thought of doing it, in fact I'd have to look back but I don't even think I've ever honored my dear hubby with a "birthday blog" on his birthday! Madison warned me that I had sure better NOT write my own birthday blog! So sorry Madison - I am writing "sort of a birthday blog."
I don't mind that I am yet another year or two or a few past 40......I am thankful for each one. I don't really want to go back to who I was when I was 20 really......I didn't have much life experience and was fairly full of myself. I wouldn't mind having that body back ...But the maintenance was way too high on that baby - no time for that now! I don't ever find myself wishing I was back in high school, college, or married with no kids again - although I sure loved all those seasons of my life. I feel like I got every ounce out of each stage. That's a satisfying feeling. I think it is one of the advantages to trying to give 100% in everything. There are disadvantages to this approach - like attempting too many things - or being a perfectionist. GUILTY.
In 43 years I have sure made some serious mistakes and at times been a type of person I am NOT proud of. I was an example I did not want to be - definitely not a refection of Christ. The amazing thing about every year with the Lord however is that there can be improvement. I don't have to remain the same year in and year out - just getting older and more cynical. I don't have to settle that I am a certain way and can't change. I don't need to be despondent and far away from God - in a dry place. My struggles and challenges are only parts of my refinement, polishing, editing, and reworking!
There were times this year I have been worn - in fact I even had a period of a few weeks where I was not sure any fruit would ever come again from this withering tree.
But God does not leave us in this place of discouragement if we are in Him. He calls us out and - renews us and revives us - then equips us for another stretch of the journey. Christ never said this road would be easy.
"This hill, though high, I covet to ascend, The Difficulty will not me offend. For I perceive the Way to Life lies here: Come pluck up, Heart; let's neither faint nor fear; Better, though difficult , the Right Way to go, Than Wrong, though easy, where the End is Woe".
John Bunyan from Pilgrim's Progress.
So this birthday, when I look around at all the situations that "could be" I am thankful....filled with gratitude for the gift of living another healthy year....for second chances.....for "do overs."
So here is a little "birthday advice" I am giving to myself: Acknowledge mistakes humbly, embrace the opportunity to grow - look forward to the Lord's regeneration - fight for joy and thankfulness in all circumstances - free fall into His grace - grasp the extent of Christ's love for me and love others unconditionally. JUST DO IT!
"In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ might be for the praise of his glory."
Ephesians 1:11-12



4 comments:
Happy Birthday Friend! Thankful to see Christ shining in you and your growth in Him. Thankful for you!
Adela
What a great post Tracy! This one and the one before (I remember microfiche :) ) were lovely. I love that you said how God renews, revives and equips. That's going to be the nugget that I chew on today. Love you! Look forward to seeing you this summer. (Like REALLY looking forward to it!)
Oh! You are coming? Yay! Yipee! Oh boy! When? I want to get it on the calendar! Love you so much!
It's lovely to *meet* you Tracy. Thank you for stopping by at *my place* and for leaving a sweet comment. I can *SO* relate to this post! Isn't it wonderful to see the hand of our Great God in our lives? I was *oh, so* full of myself in my twenties...but, I see that now in my forties...I still have so. far. to. go. Dear me! How wonderful it is that our Great God is Faithful even when we are not. Where would we be without HIM? I cannot even imagine life in that light. Many rich blessings to you! Camille
Post a Comment