Interesting that this week my personal bible study touched on some aspects that went right along with my "spring cleaning" theme. I have been working through the Parent's Handbook for Shepherding a Child's Heart and reading through a lot of scripture relating to behavior and our heart. God is not simply concerned with the externals of behavior, he is concerned with the heart. These are some of my reflections/notes from the following verses:
Proverbs 4:23: the heart is the wellspring of life - it should be guarded and focused on Christ.
1 Samuel 16:7: The Lord does not put such an emphasis on our outward appearance, but our heart.
2 Chronicles 16:9: the Lord strengthens those whose hearts are fully committed to Him.
Deuteronomy 10:12-13.....We are to serve the Lord with all our heart and soul - it is for our own good.
Ezekiel 14:1-8.....idols are linked to our hearts - it is a problem in our relationship with the Lord and causes separation from Him.
Joel 2:12-13.....Return to the Lord with all your heart - he wants our full attention and focus. Be sure our attitude toward the Lord is correct - not just our outward actions.
The Bible also has a lot to say about the relationship of behavior to the heart:
Matthew 5:28....wrong desires lead to wrong action.
Matthew 15:18...the things that come out of our mouths come from our heart - it is who we are deep down.
Mark 7:21-23.....it is from within our hearts that come the evil behavior and make us unclean.....dwelling on evil thoughts leads to sin.
The Bible also teaches that when the heart is cleansed, the behavior will care of itself. (Tripp)
Matthew 23:26....."Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean." Yikes! I was thinking about how much better I feel when my home is in order, clean, and organized. Sometimes it even looks neat - but I know all the dust and filth in the corners, ceilings, and things stuffed in the closets. Our house gives the appearance that it is "clean".
When I read the above verse I felt like such a fraud. So much of the time on the outside I look "fresh and clean" - I am chipper and "together" when we are out and about and I am appearing organized and whatever. I physically appear where I need to be to serve or fulfill my duties. But much of the time am I really "clean" on the inside? Am I truly cleansed? The evidence says no when I am short with my kids, lose my temper over something silly, or have a judgmental attitude toward someone else. Often times I have been so frustrated with myself as I've tried to change my behavior on my own - without changing my heart first.
How much time do I spend "spring cleaning" my heart? How much time do I dedicate to focusing on how great God is and thanking Him for what He has given me? How concerned am I with keeping my own heart "clean". "First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside will also be clean." When I am clean on the inside my cleanliness on the outside will be genuine.
Psalm 51:10,17 David prays, "Create in me a pure heart O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.....The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."
Ezekiel36:25-27 is encouraging as well....."I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and and be careful to keep my laws."
There may not be hope for a clean house......but there is hope for me....not by anything I can do - but through the Lord Jesus Christ he can fix my heart that makes so many mistakes to be more loving, more joyful, more gentle, more self controlled!
Spring cleaning may be over for the Miller house for now - but the "spring cleaning" on my heart keeps going.....
1 comment:
Such true words Tracy! I couldn't have said it better myself. Blessings my friend!
Post a Comment