
Most who know me would agree that I can be stubborn - reluctant to take the advice of others. My husband calls me "feisty". Sometimes I think he is glad I am that way - other times - well not so glad. The more I am learning about God's grace the more I am realizing that often it is my pride that is the problem. Submission is an issue as well..... submission to a loving God and submission to a loving husband. I, Miss Feisty tend to struggle with complying with what the Lord would want for me - which then trickles down to wrestling with the wishes of my husband. Most of the time really when he makes suggestions it is really for my own good - I am just too busy defending myself and my ways to see it.
Which brings me to mops. For the almost 3 years we've had our "new" remodeled house with tile floor I have wrestled with keeping it clean. Sixteen feet (yes count them, 6 humans and 1 dog) traipse in and out all day which leaves me crazy about the dirty floor. The day we moved in our house Merl said "You should buy an industrial mop and bucket". OK - but then you have to have one of those special buckets to ring it out and well - owning an industrial mop means this is serious business - like we have a big family or something. So, being too busy being right with my own opinion, I did my own thing and purchased some twist mop thing that has a replaceable head. Seems smart - then I can freshen it up when it gets dingy - no problem. Except for the fact that the mechanism to replace the thing is the most idiotic arrangement I've ever encountered! The first time I replaced it it took 1 HOUR to figure it out. By the time I figured it out, I was sweating profusely, had thrown the mop across the yard at least twice, said several words my children are not allowed to say, and oh, speaking of the children, they were halfway down the block!
Needless to say I without a doubt delayed replacing the head again. Finally after a plumbing nightmare I was forced to. This time, I decided I will buy the head and ask my darling husband to replace it. Along came Saturday and I thrust the mop in this hands asked him to do it for me. Not 5 minutes into the job he said, "This is ridiculous, can you take this thing back?" Then came the next blow. "I think you just need to buy an industrial mop and bucket." It had been a month since the floor had had a good mopping and you are telling me I have to wait another week while I find time to take it back and shop for an alternative? Fine - husband and industrial mop wins. So I shopped at Target and Walmart (because I was already going) ........no industrial mop - only twisty, frustrating, ridiculous mops.
Finally this last Saturday when dear husband was making his weekly trip to Home Depot I relented: "Would you please hunt for an industrial mop - but I do not want one of those huge buckets you have to ring the thing out in!" An hour later while I was scrubbing bathrooms he arrived and proudly showed me my new mop. Then he hauled in another big box. "What is that?" I inquire. "This is the rolling bucket that goes with it - let me show you how it works." For the next few minutes he provides me with a full demonstration of the industrial mop and the rolling bucket with the thing you ring it out in. In prior days I would have thrown a full blown fit - but decided against it. Later, when all was quiet I filled my new bucket with soapy water and began my chore. To my surprise, the mopping was significantly easier with a larger heavy duty mop - and was easy to ring out. The real shocker - I loved the rolling bucket - saves my back it turns out.
So - after 2.5 years of toil and struggle with my ridiculous past mops I admit: my husband was right and I was wrong. The whole time he never said a word to me about my crazy mops and patiently put up with my complaining - much like our Lord does. He patiently continues to love us even when we push His word away or His direction for our life. Life would be easier if I trusted my husband more. I would be more content if I would trust Him as well.
2 comments:
I am so cracking up! This is the best, Tracy! And too true for me as well. Sigh. Anyways, I love you and can't wait to come check out the mop!
Amy
I laughed out loud reading this one. I could just picture you replacing the mop head in the back yard. Ha ha, too funny! Thanks for giving me a smile today.
Post a Comment