One week ago Madison and I hosted her literature club at our house. It was a pleasure to work together with this competent and organized young lady to host her friends and provide education, fun, and fellowship. She amazes me! One of the privileges I enjoy about homeschooling is the extra opportunities to do things alongside our kids which give them rich experiences and memories. Our book club is about about training these precious girls to become generous hostesses, loving friends, diligent planners, and critical thinkers.
This month the girls read "Little House in the Big Woods". Madison desired to have a theme based experience so she chose activities, foods, and decorations which matched the details of the book. We made butter, baked "Laura's heart shaped cakes", made Ma's clove apples, and experienced "molasses on snow candy". Madison made a "general store" (which I failed to get a picture of!) with sewing materials, school supplies, and various types of food on display. The girls snacked on foods that Laura and her family enjoyed on a picnic while in the town of Pepin.
Oh how the girls enjoyed this book! I had to cut their sharing off and move on to the next question every time! It was interesting to see each girls' understanding of the theme, plot, setting, and worldview of the book. We discussed the author, historical fiction, and the 5 parts of a story. I was impressed with how prepared and well read each young lady was as well as with their eagerness and ability to share with the group.
The girls' kindness toward one another especially touched my heart. Many of them were meeting for the first time, yet as they worked together in pairs and threes to make the cakes or shared about themselves at the table I could see their desire to get along and enjoy one another's company. Notably cute was the girls' excitement to present Madison with her "hostess" gifts - most of them homemade with love and hope of blossoming friendships.
It was a great day! We are looking forward to next month!


1 comment:
Where'd you get the snow??!! And thanks for not spilling my news to Amy - I had fun telling her myself!
Post a Comment