How are those who are saved to make progress in the Christian life? What is the way forward What can we expect? What must we do to grow daily in the love and knowledge of Christ?
These are questions I've been contemplating this week. Why is it that even though I am in Christ and have the benefit of the Holy Spirit do I still struggle so much with my sin? Maybe I never really understood how much there was to overcome ( the weight of my sin).......maybe I never really took it to heart when Jesus said, 'apart from Me you can do nothing' (John 15:5) . ONLY as I am united to Christ can I amount to anything spiritually - and apart from Him I never will.
I think the problem is that I am a prideful - "do it myselfer". Even though in the back of my mind I have always known I cannot live the Christian life in my own strength - I most often try to and end up failing. Frequently I am not consciously drawing upon the Holy Spirit. I need to actively ask God for the strength to accomplish what He calls me to do.
It is comforting to know that the process of sanctification is just that, a process! Johnson in "When Grace Comes Home" says it is a day by day process of growth in grace. Sanctification is also warfare. I must 'put on the full armor of God', take up' my armor, 'be alert with all perseverance and petition' (Eph. 6:11-18)!
It is encouraging to know I am not the only one grappling with myself. Paul talked extensively about it in Romans 7 and then Galatians 5:17 says, 'For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things you please.'
This is expected to be difficult.....I will never escape conflict, struggle, or hardship until I am in glory - 'Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect, but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus.' (Pil. 3:12)
Ha! Something this "realist" can grasp! I just have to press on - the goal is perfection but I am not going to make it in this life. With the help of the Holy Spirit, I can press on toward the goal. I will continue to have hope and 'work out my salvation' - I will endeavor, battle, and fight.....because I am good at that! And I know that God is at work in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment