Friday, March 26, 2010

books and coffee



I had ideas about what I wanted to do with the few days I'd have in San Antonio with Merl. It was the perfect combination of time alone and time with hubby. Honestly - I have to say - save going to such nice plush places for later in your marriage......or when you are "older" and more appreciative. I qualify as "older" now that I am approaching one of those milestone birthdays.....If I had stayed in a nice resort like this when I was younger with no children - I am sure I would not have relished in it quite as much! Since we really did not go away for a honeymoon - I thought, so this is what a luxurious honeymoon is like! Never stayed at a hotel which provides you with a bathrobe before......yes I could get used to this......but anyway back to reality.....I will not be getting used to this......my flannel bathrobe is lonely with the dog at home!

In any case, I hauled a lot of books and paraphernalia with me because I wasn't sure what I'd feel like doing. Homeschool planning, meal planning, budgeting?.....Uh - brought all the stuff but NOT! Whoa - didn't even want to surf the internet! I had big dreams of driving out to Fredricksburg on some hill country roads I remembered from our trip here 12 years ago in May and taking pictures. So on the first day that is what I did - drove and hunted for great shots. Only problem was......not quite spring here so everything was fairly brown. After many hours on my "not so scenic in March" route, I returned to the hotel with only a couple nice shots in camera and the day alone was almost gone......A friend had given me some great advice just a few days prior...."When traveling on business with your husband.....get your worrying, phone calls, etc. out of the way while hubby is in his conference. Then when he comes back, be refreshed and ready to spend time with him." Good counsel.......I tried to push the disappointment of a not so successful photo day away.....guess I was meant to have a nice drive.

This trip, I perceived, was going to be one of reading and coffee. Works for me! Finished one book and started 2 others......now for all you fiction fanatics - calm down and prepare yourself.....reading fiction in my free time stresses me out! It freaks me out! Therefore, I brought one juvenile fiction book with me....Pollyana, since Madison is reading it for book club. Just couldn't bear to crack it! When I have time away it rejuvenates me to read other things.....so here is a look at what I spent time reading - aside from my Bible and photography books. I highly recommend all these.....even though I am not finished with them all....

Dancing with My Father by Sally Clarkson is about Sally Clarkson's personal journey to discover how to live a life of grace and joy in the Lord.


Say Goodbye to Whining by Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller My word - please don't let the cover scare you! Get over it....it is a great book giving practical suggestions for building honor in your family.

Grace Based Parenting by Tim Kimmel....has challenged my thinking. It is written by a local author whom I met many years ago and respect. He asserts that many of the parenting books on the market tell moms and dads what to do and how to do it but are rigid, fear-based books that leave a large number of parents feeling directionless. This book is about the needs we are trying to meet in our children and the delivery system for how we meet them.

My time of good books and coffee, luxurious time with the husband, and magnificent accommodations has come to an end.......back to reality, but I brought my books back with me!

No comments: