Today was one of those not so "blue sky" homeschool days so I assigned us all a little work detail. I can honestly say I think we all are all going to bed with a "clean" conscience, happy hearts, scoured house, and even a bathed dog!





I must also mention that I believe I have stumbled upon something too, which gets my kids "excited" about cleaning: chemistry! Awhile back I was motivated to begin cleaning and washing our clothes with natural cleaner thanks to an online friend who shared her recipe for "scrubbing bubbles". I disliked the smell of household cleaner - and actually Ryan literally would not clean his bathroom as a result of the smell because it irritated him so much. So we tried good old vinegar and baking soda - and I added some peppermint essential oil for great smell and "refreshment" - presto! We are hooked! It works great and guess what? The kids beg to clean because they LOVE mixing the vinegar and baking soda together and watching it "bubble". So hilarious. Ryan loves the smell and making "explosions" (yes, I must sacrifice a little extra baking soda and vinegar). Madison has really gone crazy with it and did her speech for public speaking coop on toxic cleaners and making your own. She has even begun brushing her teeth with baking soda and salt! I am not that reformed yet.

"Scrubbing bubble ingredients"
The chemist (clearing the drain with baking soda and vinegar rinse)
We also are making our own laundry detergent from various recipes we've found online. We basically use washing soda, borax, and felsnaptha soap for that. Seems to work fine! I throw a downy ball in the wash then with some vinegar and peppermint oil for a good rinse and it makes the clothes fresh.

Basic laundry soap ingredients

Melting the felsnaptha soap in water first
Laundry "sludge" (you can also make powdered detergent)
I know that the sacrifice of Christ and his forgiveness is what really washes us clean after days like this and His love revives our attitudes - Christ only. But just this one time I am adding a few components: baking soda, vinegar, peppermint oil, and hard work......just a little icing on the cake.
1 comment:
I love coming here and reading your posts! You guys are the best! I SO wish we lived closer, Elise would have so much for with your kids. Love you!
Post a Comment