
OK fine.....some mildly astonishing events are suitable with me..... gifts of coffee, chocolate, diamonds......surprise parties.......yes - even surprise parties! But who would be courageous or daring enough to attempt this feat? Seriously, I thought Merl might think it was a stretch to suggest a different place for birthday lunch.....knowing my inflexibility. I did not think he would attempt this! Brave man he is......and wise......as he brought my mom and dad into the situation to help.
Even though it is sort of a tradition to surprise someone on their 40th birthday.....I had completely written the possibility off, figuring Merl would not attempt to surprise me, the queen of figuring things out! So let's give credit where credit is due...... I really didn't have an idea I was being had until right before we left to have a "birthday dinner" at my parents' house. As we were getting ready to go I began to think it was mighty strange that my mom did not ask what kind of birthday cake I wanted or what I'd like to eat for dinner......which is fairly routine. I questioned the kids a little bit which made them act a little suspiciously......although up until that point they had been completely normal! Looking back I am realizing they gave away absolutely NO pieces of information - totally tight lipped! Impressive. When I inquired about an errand Merl said we were going on I caught a slight smile from him (he later said he just can't lie to me!). So when the van went the absolute opposite way from my parents' house I said, "We are not going to Chandler." And he said, "No, we are not! A few of your friends wanted to help celebrate." To which I responded, "Oh sure they do, since they are younger than me!" (Well lots of them anyway!)
So then I started to panic a little.....what in the world was going to happen? I knew I would probably start to bawl and besides - didn't even check my hair before we left! There were trillions of people at the park so I couldn't tell where our group was and as we got closer my brain was not able to process the different people I saw fast enough since they were from all facets of my life here.....I was honestly 100% shocked at all the people who began to sing Happy Birthday - which of course caused me to tear up.....The big 'ole group had signed signs the kids had made for me and I was also handed a button to put on:
The number one statement of the night was in general: "Knowing you do not like surprises I was really wondering how this would turn out....." I do have to admit that I did punch Merl in the arm twice as we walked up the sidewalk - I'm sorry - I do have a violent streak.....
So.......the verdict is in.......surprises are not so bad, I guess. Lighten up and let people love you, I am thinking (for those of you like me who think you would be mortified in this type of scenario). What a delightful combination of people I love so much! I so enjoyed visiting with everyone! I am humbled to have such amazing friends and family.....I am richly blessed.
1 comment:
Fun!
This post is so ironic. Mine is coming up in a few weeks, as previously mentioned, and the kids want to have a surprise party for me, but I, too, have a tendency to figure everything out. And also hate being the center of attention like that. We'll see what happens...
Post a Comment