This weekend we moved some pieces of old furniture into our house. Old furniture - but brand new for us. While it was fun and exciting there was a little bit of sadness attached to it. We were receiving the new furniture because my Grandma Spence died almost 2 weeks ago. She died 6 months from the day and almost to the hour her beloved husband of 73 years did. Now all four of my grandparents are gone from this life - all having entered into eternity in the past 21 months. All four of them lived to be over 93 - one of them just shy of his 99th birthday! Each of my grandparents had a significant impact on my life. When I was young we lived within 3 hours of them so I have many, many memories of holidays and visits.
Grandma Spence loved to shop. It was one of our favorite things to do - she, my mom, and I - and sometimes Aunt Nancy would shop till we dropped! We were always out to hunt the bargains. Grandma was serious about her shopping! She also loved giving gifts and even in her 90's insisted on trying to go out and buy gifts for our birthdays or Christmas. It bothered her this last few years that she could not get out much.
Grandma also loved to cook and was exceptionally good at it. She managed the school cafeteria for the junior high in Los Alamos - so she was experienced! She had every kitchen gadget known to man and was always up on the latest whether it was a bread machine or cookery. We enjoyed picnics in the Jemez mountains in New Mexico, in their backyard in Los Alamos, and feasts at the holidays. When I was older and in college - I brought many a roommate to grandma and grandpa's house for a home cooked meal. Grandma even cooked the meal the night my parents met Merl for the very first time! It took MANY years before Grandma would compliment my cooking. When I was younger, I think she was significantly concerned about my potential as a homemaker due to my interest in sports. In my early years of marriage she always peppered me with questions about what I baked or cooked - giving me unsolicited advice and tips. Just a few years ago after I had served Thanksgiving dinner to around 17 of us she said, "Well Tracy - I think you've turned out to be quite a good cook!" Finally - I had arrived!
Grandma was also known for her strong opinions - and her ability to communicate them.....She always said it like it was - so you had to be a bit thick skinned around her sometimes. Grandma was good at giving me advice on babies - always questioning what I was doing or not doing - and making comments about the good and bad things I or my kids did! But all in all - she sure loved the great grand children - and I am thankful she and grandpa had the chance to be intricately involved in the lives of our four kids.

Grandpa and Grandpa almost 12 year ago with Madison......
Several years ago when grandma and grandpa moved out of their last home, they began to bless their children and grandchildren with many of the nice things they would no longer be using. According to Grandma in a conversation we had just a couple of months ago, "If it weren't for us you wouldn't have any furniture!" (A slight exaggeration!) I always have thought of grandma when I use her Kitchen Aid mixer I am so thankful for. I would often express my gratitude to her by telling her what I last made with it - or she could taste for herself. The things I used in my house that were from she and grandpa still had use and life - and I often had the opportunity to express my thanks to them. I am glad I took it. As we were packing up Grandma's apartment last week I found a thank you note on her dresser I'd written to she and grandpa a year or so ago telling them how much it meant to me to have a few of their things. I was relieved I'd taken the time to do it - but it seemed so odd to read it after she was gone.
Yesterday after their dressers were in my own room - they looked beautiful. Old - but new - and immaculately kept I might add. After almost 18 years of marriage Merl and I have never had a bedroom set, so I was pleased...... but wasn't prepared for the flood of tears that came when I began to place my own clothes in the drawers where Grandma had once put hers. Somehow this act signified the transition from life with Grandma to life without her.
I am grateful for the abundance of years we had together. I am glad for all the times I made the extra effort to go and visit her, take the kids, or spend time with the grandparents. Sometimes life seems so busy - but I have never regretted the time spent on relationships. Thanks Grandma for the 40 years you and grandpa contributed to my life - for the energy and spice you added to our family gatherings, for the time you spent with me, for all the meals you cooked, and days you lovingly shopped for gifts and bargains for all of us. I love you and I'll miss you.
6 comments:
Tracy, this was SO good! As soon as I saw that picture, I knew what it was! Grandma was so special I think to just about everyone she touched :) I too am thankful for all the advice(good and bad) she always gave us at each meeting or phone call! That is so funny she asked about you cooking! She did me too...all the time. Then once she knew Gannon had food allergies, she didn't ask anymore because she knew I had to make everything from sratch...haha...Grandma was so funny about shopping too! I remember that most too. She always made each of us feel so important! Heaven received a special lady! But now, Grandpa has her life long partner back and a brand new body! Praise the Lord whom we will see again.
Miss you cousin! Hope you are doing ok. We are still praying for you guys.
Amen, Tracy! "I have never regretted the time I spent on relationship" - that is SO true, and such a reflection of Christ! Thank you for the post - helped me feel less alone in grieving my grandparents, suddenly all gone to heaven. As my own parents sit on the edge of the life-on-this-earth shelf, it is hard to comprehend, to know how to grieve. Thank you for courageously writing about it!
Love - in His grip -
Gen
What a great post Tracy! I shed some tears myself after reading it. What a wonderful tribute to your grandma!
Beautiful Tracy!! I had the last 3 of my grandparents die within 18 months. My paternal grandparents died only 3 months apart, Grandpa just had to sign the estate papers first as he had promised Grandma he would take care of before he could join her. I am also lucky enough to have some beautiful pieces of furniture that I got from them - had them shipped across the Atlantic since they mean so much to me.
I am sorry for your loss but you have such great memories that will make you smile.
I'm so impressed with your writing. Your thoughts are so well expressed, and so natural and honest. This was a beautiful tribute.
Love you. ma
PS---Ha! anonymous!
Post a Comment