I will tell you I am on the very edge of 40 - but NOT there yet! I used to wonder what the big deal about turning 40 was but now I am understanding. I am seeing more gray hair everyday.....and Ryan told me he was going to "get some of that stuff for gray hair" for me for my birthday. How thoughtful of him!
I am thinking that around the time you turn 21 years old we should celebrate birthdays differently.....we should honor our parents! It is pretty much thanks to them you are still alive! Think of all those times you almost rolled off the changing table, or were about to run in the street, or when you wanted to go out to some outing as a young teen that was not safe. I have reflected a great deal on all the ways my parents have contributed or shaped who I am.
The Lord shaped and formed me and has blessed me in many ways but I do appreciate the way my parents loved me and encouraged me in school, my faith, and early involvement in track. Of course now I have so much more of an understanding of what it takes to do all that they have. I am sure there were a lot of times they were not sure what they were doing - but seems like I made it out ok!
I just want to say THANKS MOM AND DAD for all you've done for me. I know you made an endless number of sacrifices and big decisions in relation to my life. Growing up in a small town was hard at times but I think a good thing for me. Life as a pastor's daughter was good - I appreciate all the time you invested in introducing me to a life with Jesus Christ.
You traveled to give me the opportunity to compete at a national level at just 10 yrs. old - a thrill I will NEVER forget......... One of you was always at my games, meets, or school activities (Steve's too)....... There were the late night tears over homework and social struggles or times you might have had to say no....... Thanks for our 2 big vacations I'll never forget - the one to Florida you saved so long for and then the year we went to the '84 Olympics. You so carefully researched and found the one day of track and field when I could see my "heroes" compete........ All those years of games and meets in the victory and ugly defeats (100 - 25 basketball games - yes that is a score - or lost races when I was so hard on myself - you always were in my corner).......... You let go of me physically but still fully supported me through 4 tough years of college - missing most of my meets and injuries because of distance - but always patiently supporting me in track and academics on the phone and with visits when you could. ( I should insert at this point that my brother, Steve deserves high praise in this support area as well as I cried on his shoulder for many years and he was carted around to all my games and meets as a youngster.)
And then there was the day you put your "little girl" of 22 on the plane to move across the country to Florida to be with the man you had only met one time. Looking back now I can't believe you did it so gracefully. I understand now why you were so surprised when I called just one month later to say we were engaged.....
Sheesh - I know those first 22 years were way hard work on your part - thank you so much. I can only hope that 4 beautiful grandkids are halfway paying you back for that! But on this birthday I just want to say I love you, mom and dad - thanks for giving me life! I had been a great ride so far.
4 comments:
Happy Birthday Tracy!! Love this post....
Woo hoo! Happy Birthday Tracy! Miss you girl. What a great and thoughtful tribute to your parents.
Oh Tracy, I SO wish we could come for a visit! I would love to see everyone...and of course HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I love reading about you and the fam. Your scriptures are RIGHT ON! Thank you so much for sharing with us :) Sending you Love from KS!
Happy Belated Birthday Tracy. Enjoy your final year in your 30s. I crossed the 40 threshold in February.
Post a Comment