Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Our Creator and Astronomy

Ryan viewing Saturn 


Jonathan doing research

Madison viewing Arcturus

After such an eventful Saturday we had a lovely day of rest on Sunday worshipping together as a family with singing and reading scripture.  Grandpa Bill shared some beautiful thoughts about "leaving a legacy" and passing on the baton to the next generation of the Miller family - the children and grandchildren.  In the evening the kids shared some "talent" of various sorts - with our kids performing a hilarious skit of "Little Red" (little red riding hood).  

Monday morning we had a "Miller Family Tennis Tournament" - single elimination from the youngest up.  Ryan advanced until he met his older cousin Zack and was eliminated.  I was eliminated by my 14 year old nephew, Kevin.  I don't think I've touched a racket for over 15 years - I was plenty rusty but had a lot of fun.  I utilized the hot tub on the porch that night!

Monday evening we went to the Lowell Observatory.  It was so awesome!  It was still light when we arrived and we headed straight up to the McAllister telescope to view Arcturus - the brightest star in the northern celestial hemisphere.  I think the guy said it was 18 million miles in diameter - and the earth is 8,000 miles in diameter!  Anyway we wandered around the gardens and museums until dark, praying the clouds would thin and go away.  They did a little bit, and we got to see the planet Saturn!  We could visibly see it as well as its rings!  I have to say it was so amazing!  What an amazing world our Lord has created.  

I must admit that I know next to nothing about Astronomy.....but it seems so much more interesting now that we got to experience looking through these AMAZING telescopes.  The Clark telescope there is over 120 years old.  Fun day......


No comments: