Monday, March 15, 2010

spontaneous

After 17 years of marriage - my dear husband has learned a few things.....one of them being I don't do spontaneous. Who knows how much frustration I have caused him - but I don't like surprises or doing things I haven't thought through ahead of time. He hasn't given up trying to break me however......

Upon returning home from church he says......"Let's go hike at Usery Park - pause - you can bring your camera and shoot pictures of the wildflowers". Ahhh.....crafty guy.....knew there was no way I'd go for a spur of the moment hike like that.....unless he throws in the "you could take pictures" line! Well, don't give him all the credit.....little did he know I've been making an effort to be more "flexible" and "unplanned". And I NEVER pass up the opportunity to take pictures!

So on the way I had several questions in my mind once he suggested we hike Wind Cave Trail - "moderately difficult"....... 3.2 miles round trip......800 ft. ascent.....hiking shoes/sticks recommended. Question #1 - would there be loads of wildflowers? Question #2 - Could I really watch the kids, keep an eye on the dog, and take photographs? Question #3 - How would my bad knee respond to the climb/descent? I have recently been considering returning for physical therapy or even wondered if I needed another surgery. Question #4 - Can Jonathan and Allison REALLY hike 3.2 miles up and down like that or will one of them be wailing after the first hour?

Here are the answers: #1 - No there were hardly any wildflowers!!!!! So at first I was hacked.....but only a few minutes. It was still unbelievably beautiful.

This shot is at the beginning half of the hike, looking back the way we had come.....

Still on the way up....

I am not kidding, the sky was this blue (I don't own photoshop!)

Question #2 - No.....on the way up - I ended up lagging way behind shooting photos and yelling directives......"Watch out for that rock! Hold Aslan, runner coming!......Stop and turn around so I can get this picture!" Pretty soon the fam went ahead of me and left me to my photo dawdling.

See the tongue?

Question #3 - I was fairly pleased with my physical condition if I do say so myself! Not especially winded.... maybe all the rollerblading has given me some muscle conditioning. And notably.......why consider expensive physical therapy or surgery when you can descend down a small mountain 800 ft. - and accomplish the same results by falling? I mean, when I slid backward and fell, my knee bent farther than it has in three years - with loud snaps and pops and shooting pain......but no overpriced anesthesia was needed since it was completely a surprise! I was supposedly helping Allie down the hill when this happened.......the rest of the family was way ahead. Allie stayed on her feet while I sat on the ground and determined if I was capable of returning to my own feet. When I saw Merl was out of shouting range I decided getting up was the only option......and Allie sweetly became very determined to "look out" for me despite the fact she had already accrued a few wounds of her own.

Check the knee out......

The answer to Question #4 is a resounding "YES!" Jonathan and Allie hiked all the way up and back and were undoubtedly the youngest hikers on the trail!

Had to include this photo because it shows how high up we were.......it was also seconds before Allie fell chin first ....... wound #2.

Madison enjoying the view

Part of the reason the younger ones made it
and I could still take pictures......

No joke - this is the end of the trail and the kid was still running!

My last photo as we finished......the dark area on upper right portion is the "cave".

Goes to show ya (me)......spontaneous can be fun and have good fruits! (Even if you are lured..... I mean, lovingly encouraged to do it).

2 comments:

Beth said...

So beautiful!! We need to come visit!! Love the family hike idea, and the photo ops... :)

Sherri said...

LOVE this idea Merl! And wowzers those kids are real troopers! God is such a wonderful creator! I love all your pics of course :) Love you :)