Well I am going to hurry up and post about this week before the "honeymoon phase" ends! We started school Monday after a few weeks of the kids begging to get going. I could have put it off longer but had no good reason to wait. (Mental note to self: begin school immediately after the Homeschool Convention - and don't go on vacation after that......because you lose your "umph"!) The kids were so excited they got up early and made breakfast (egg toasters)! Before we got started with our school work I wanted to get a "first day picture" before anything started to go south. Well Jonathan immediately was not pleased with the plan. He cried every time we tried to get him in the picture, then Allie started to cry because she was hot and sweaty. Before long kids were crying and complaining and I was shouting, "just be quiet and smile and look happy!" (the perfect family). After surviving the photo shoot I think the kids were glad to come in the cool house and sit down and work! First comes bible time - though as you can see from the photos, Jonathan seems closed to hearing God's word. The majority of the time he sat with his hands over his ears. After that, while the other kids worked individually, Allie and I had a little preschool time......which Jonathan thought he DID need to be involved in. After storytime I decided naptime was calling for him - so exit Mr. Busybody. The 4 ring circus was reduced to a 3 ring circus - which actually turned out to be more manageable than I had anticipated. In fact I wouldn't call it a circus at all - we had fun and got a lot of work done. I thinking there may be hope......
It is such a joy to have 2 independent workers who can read and write! How did that happen? I am here to say to all you mommas out there who have so many little ones you are trying to school: It is true every year gets easier as they get more independent. There is a light at the end of the tunnel! I'm not saying it is easier every day - only the days no one throws up, no one pulls all the cleaner out from under the bathroom sink and pours it on the floor, no one cries because they can't remember their math facts, no one punches their brother, and mom doesn't stay up until midnight watching the Olympics. SERIOUSLY - I can say that after about 5 years of trial and error some things are beginning to click - why? I couldn't say for sure but maybe never giving up - not losing sight of why we are homeschooling - constant asking of forgiveness from my kids -consistently running back to the Lord - recognizing the negative and discouraging thoughts in my head for what they are (attacks from the enemy) - and well, a GREAT husband :)
More often then not, I have felt like a failure. In my darkest times, Merl encouraged me not to work so hard on avoiding failure - but to focus on our vision for our kids and help them strive for success. I'm still going to make mistakes - but every morning provides a new start.
" I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me. Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for him." The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him, to the one who seeks him; it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord." Lamentations 3:19-26
2 comments:
I am crackin up as usual! Covering
his ears...hilarious! Great post!
Amy - been thinking of you - just haven't called so we stay focused....but I miss you. Hope your week is going well - I have been staying up WAY too late watching the Olympics!
Post a Comment