I sort of consider my youth/athletic career as phase 1 of my life.....then there was phase 2. I guess phase 2 was getting married and figuring out a new identity. So began almost 10 years of working in adoption/foster care and serving in Bible Study Fellowship. What another great bunch of years. I had the opportunity to work with so many wonderful people. I treasure those years serving in BSF with the most incredible women. I miss that time - it was a privilege. I was thinking about it a lot today because Merl spent the day in Tucson training with many of those dear friends for his new role as teaching leader in the men's BSF class here. Now he has the privilege to serve the Lord in this new phase of his life - one I am sure he will love. It is just as exhilarating as winning an athletic event to serve in this way!
Phase 2 ran into Phase 3 a little - even after Madison, Ryan, and Allison were born I still was working in social work and serving in BSF - but the Lord began to make it clear that these "seasons" were drawing to a close. While it was difficult to leave my track career behind - it was even more challenging to transition from and leave work and BSF in order to grow as a wife and mom. The Lord was calling us as a family to homeschool - something I had often said I would "never do". Lord, why are you asking me to do this? Why when these other parts of my life I LOVE so much? "Trust me" He says - without showing me the entire picture. So many times I would wonder when older women would say to me "there is a season in life for blah, blah......." Why does there have to be seasons? Why can't we just keep doing everything we like to do? The experience of changing diapers and breaking up fights between siblings is different from standing on the medal podium. The gratification is not quite as immediate. At least it SEEMS it is not......but scripture says that we are not always going to understand what is going on around us or why even situations are occurring. The Lord designed it this way. Not to make us miserable but in order to keep us looking to Him for our fulfillment - not all around us. Boy do I need some work there.
Yes - I was thinking about all that in the car during my VERY unusual opportunity to reflect (for 23 minutes). Phase 1, Phase 2, Phase 3.....how many phases will there be and what will they be like? No clue - I have no clue. All I do know is that when I wake up in the morning I have a blessed life (whether it is a good day or a bad day)....please Lord help me not to waste any of my time. Steven Curtis Chapman says it beautifully in one of his latest songs "Yours" - in the verses he is describing life around the world as well as his own. Unbelievably, even after the death of his daughter Maria, he added yet another verse to this song and still sings it. It is the chorus that I think is a wonderful tribute to God and my prayer for my life - no matter what Phase 4 brings.
"It's all Yours God, Yours God,
everything is Yours
From the stars in the sky to the depths of the
ocean floor
And it's all Yours God, Yours God,
everything is Yours
You're the maker and keeper,
Father and ruler of everything
It's all Yours......
It's all Yours, God
The glory is Yours, God
All the honor is Yours, God
The power is Yours, God
The glory is Yours, God
You're the Kind of Kings and Lord of Lords
And the greatness and power, and glory, and
splendor, and majesty
Everything is Yours
It's all Yours
We are Yours
The glory and honor is Yours,
everything is Yours
It's all Yours God
My life is Yours, my heart is Yours
My hands and my feet are Yours
Every song that I sing
It's all Yours, all is Yours
All belongs to You
Our gifts are Yours, God
All our dreams are Yours, God
All our plans are Yours, God
This whole earth is Yours, God
Everything is Yours
No comments:
Post a Comment