Tuesday, August 5, 2008

the last hurrah











Day 3 (Saturday) Our last full day in San Diego was full for sure - and of course the last day of vacation can never last long enough!  We all slept late recovering from the day before.  We were planning to meet Bryan and Karen at their hotel to swim after breakfast so we started off - depending on Merl's handy iPhone to give us accurate directions to the hotel.  When we got to what we thought was near the hotel we called them to say we couldn't quite find them - maybe had made a wrong turn.  Yikes - we were completely off course and not anywhere near them.  But we were near to Coronado Island where we'd hoped to sun at the beach that afternoon so we decided they would load up and come meet us.  While we were waiting we walked around the harbor - and checked out the USS Midway - wow what an awesome sight that was!  I've never seen an aircraft carrier in person and it was truly amazing.  Madison took the picture of Merl and I in front of it and then of the huge statue.  After a few hours we were in the car trying to coordinate by phone with B & K ....... Merl commented, "What DID we do before cell phones?"  To which I replied....."We checked and made sure exactly where we were going!" - just for the record however the mistake was the iPhone directions, not Merl's.  We spent a few more hours looking for parking spaces, standing in line at Subway, unloading the car, walking to the beach, playing, loading back up, walking some more, and taking people to the bathroom.  Did I already mention that I can't stand sand?  We finally made it back to the hotel to swim.  I personally believe it was under 80 degrees which means Tracy doesn't swim so while everyone else braved the cold hotel pool - chicken me went to the hot tub!  We capped off the night with a late dinner and headed back to our "home base" (my aunt and uncle's).  Overall -  a great trip to visit with family and spend time together just the 6 of us too.  It is a blessing to get away.

So now it is back to reality:  we live in an oven (and like it for the most part!), we have some laundry to do, and school needs to get started soon.  The kids have been begging for school to start - I am the hold up right now.  I always feel like there is just more organizing I could do - clean out one more closet - rearrange one more shelf......I think that is all really not the issue.  The bottom line is I enjoy the relaxed schedule of the summer:  sleeping in, iced coffee, errands anytime we want, library day every week, visiting and swimming with friends, more iced coffee, extra time for reading and computer, vacations and lots of iced coffee!  Don't get me wrong - it is not that I don't enjoy the school year.  I look forward to reading more to the kids, getting back to teaching, and all the fall activities like sports, PE class, and ballet.  I was really raring to go after the convention but our little jaunt to San Diego disrupted my enthusiasm.  I think I need a few days of getting the books out, teacher manuals, rearranging furniture, and goal setting - and more iced coffee.  That should do it. 

No comments: