Wednesday, August 6, 2008

a walk of faith

In case you missed it, Good Morning America interviewed Steven Curtis Chapman and his family this morning on their show.  It is the first interview they've done since little Maria, their 5 year old daughter went home to be with Jesus.  Click here to go to an article about it and watch the video of the entire interview.  The piece tells the whole story and I think it was well done.  The Chapman family's faith reminds me of Hebrews 11:1 "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."  The Life Application Bible commentary states:  "Two words describe faith:  sure and certain.  These two qualities need a secure beginning and ending point.  The beginning point of faith is believing in God's character - he IS who he says.  The end point is believing in God's promises - he will DO what he says.  When we believe that God will fulfill his promises even though we don't see those promises materializing yet, we demonstrate true faith (See John 20:24-31)." 

 I have not experienced grief like this family - but to me they exemplify what true peace in the Lord Jesus can look like in the midst of tragedy:  being broken and grieved to the core - but still having a hope in something greater than ourselves.  I have also seen this lived out in dear friends around me who have been through GREAT suffering.  It has been inspiring to watch them walk through loss and still believe that the Lord loves and cares for them - and has the BEST plan for them even if it is clearly not what they'd choose.  While I've exercised this in simpler ways in my life it seems ultimately amplified in death.  This is the ultimate test of faith in so many ways.

Well - life is not as simple as a blog - there are a lot more questions and truths.  Believing that God exists is only the beginning.  God will not settle for basic acknowledgment of his existence.  He wants a personal, dynamic relationship with me that will transform my life.  As I continue to seek God,  I continually find that I am rewarded with his intimate presence. 

Hebrews 11:6 "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."

No comments: