Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Day 1 - part 2 - the ER

After lunch on Saturday, it was decided the group would visit Lava River Cave.  It is a lava tube which is formed when a portion of a river of lava cools while the interior is still hot and flowing.  Under the right conditions the outer skin will form a hard shell and the inner core will flow right on through like water going through a straw, leaving an empty tube.  The hike is completely in the dark using flashlights.  It is cold, dark, and sort of difficult to navigate so I decided to stay home with Jonathan and Allison.  

We went grocery shopping with my sister in law Sharon first.  After shopping, Sharon and I bought coffee - looking forward to sipping it on the porch while the kids rested.  Just as we were putting the last groceries away Jonathan came sprinting into the room toward the TV - excited to watch baseball.  I looked up just in time to see him trip and tumble head first into the TV stand.  Just from the sound I knew this was not good and sprinted over as he got up and ran toward me.  I could see clear through the first layer of skin over his eyebrow..... His father is quite a fan of butterfly strips to close cuts.  He has closed many a cut on our kid's faces with these things.  The moment I saw this wound I knew we were beyond butterfly strips.  

The first thought I had was - "I can't believe my husband is inside a dark cave with no cell phone reception and this is happening."  Wouldn't you know.  I yelled to Sharon - grab your keys - we need to drive over to the front desk and find out how to get to the ER.  Poor Jonathan just screamed and bled and Allie kept saying "poor Jonathan."  Merl's parents got home right when we were leaving so Allison was spared a tour of the Flagstaff hospital.  Miraculously I got ahold of Merl on his cell phone minutes before they entered the cave.  He confirmed that I should go to the ER rather than urgent care and what things to make sure were done.  Sharon drove and we were on our way........on a wild goose chase to find the hospital.  Too bad we were using the resort map which was unbelievably inaccurate!  Eventually we managed to find our way there and just as we arrived our poor patient had fallen asleep - exhausted from no nap to begin with and over 20 minutes of crying.  

Since Jonathan would not let me touch his head he had blood all over him so we attracted a lot of attention.  He was not crying and really calm so I am thankful he didn't seem to be in pain.  After while we were seen and the doctor decided he needed stitches on the inside and outside.  That process was tough but he was a real trooper despite having to be numbed with the needle and held down while being stitched up.  

Later at dinner he was his usual self - running around like nothing had happened......until he saw himself in the mirror and said, "Uh oh......eye".




I asked him to smile - but this is what I got.

Ready to call this one LONG day......



3 comments:

Beth said...

Goodness...what an experience! Glad he is ok!

Anonymous said...

OH YOU GUYS I AM SORRY THIS HAPPENED TO JONATHAN, BUT I AM GLAD U GUYS ARE ALL HAVING SO MUCH FUN! WHEN ARE YOU COMING BACK HOME? MISS YOU GUYS


LOVE
KELLY

Anonymous said...

Tracy! I can't believe it. You kept him safe from the Lava cave, just to end up in the emergency room!! I'm glad he is o.k. :). Sounds like you guys are having a great time. Did they end up enjoying the cave? See you soon!

Adela