Well another Olympics has come and gone.....sure went by fast! This time watching was double fun since the kids were totally into it. I know Merl is happy to have the TV turned back off - and I will be glad to get back to sleeping again! Thought I would share a few of the highlights for the Millers....
1) Michael "Phipes" as pronounced by Allie. I think our favorite event to watch was the swimming. What a show that was. As you can see from the above photo - Ryan has been impersonating Mr. Phelps non-stop. While swimming with friends there have been many "races". Not only did we appreciate Phelps' humble attitude but good conduct (which we cannot say for other sports as much - I'll get to that). I also enjoyed watching Dara Torrez swim for all of us who just don't have a body like that any more! Wow - impressive. I have to say the competitor in me ached for her when she lost the gold by .01 of a second!
2) Gymnastics is always great - though I have a difficult time watching any sport that is judged. It drives me insane. You never REALLY know who did what, when and how well. Just race or keep scorer and see who wins for heaven's sake! I loved Jonathan Horton - how he rallied the men's team who was supposed to do "so, so" - to the silver medal and then winning his own in the high bar - swinging himself around like no tomorrow.
3) OK - so of course I love watching the track and field - it is where my heart is but I sure was disappointed in the "I am so great attitudes" all the way around. Yikes - kind of embarrassing. Though there were some not that way. Allison Felix is my favorite. I was a little sad she didn't win the gold in the 200 but she was very gracious and positive about it - thankful to be there. Lots of heart wrenching moments like when Lolo Jones fell in the hurdles.....sort of irritating both 4X100 teams dropped the stick - but anyway that is what happens. I was still glued to it all.
4) Probably the most surprising but fun aspect for us was beach volleyball.....how you ask? Well for one thing Ryan enjoyed watching Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh a little TOO much. I just wish those girls wore more clothes! Anyway - we watched the gold medal match and Madison was really into the volleyball as well as Allie and Ryan. After they won the gold, the commentator asked Misty what she was going to do when she returned to the States...."I am going to go to a Marlins game." (Hubby is catcher for Marlins). Ryan turned to me wide eyed....."Maybe she is coming to the game Saturday!" (Marlins vs. D-backs and we were going). I of course said "yeah, right- I don't think so honey. " But there we were in the 8th inning and who do they show on the jumbo tron but "Misty May-Treanor - Olympic gold medalist!" We all went wild and there she was several sections over from us! After the game she was signing autographs and the kids got up to the front - could have touched her medal around her neck which she was wearing. Unfortunately she left before they got an autograph but it was what they talked about the whole way home. Allison was spending a lot of time trying to figure it all out: How did this person she recognized from China get all the way here? "Do she live in China?" "No, Allie - she lives in Florida"......"She play bolleyball on TV?" "Yes, Allie - remember she got that very gold medal that was around her neck." "How her get out of the TV to come to the game?" Madison and Ryan's explanation to that is too long to write - but man did we laugh!
That probably is the closest I will ever get to an Olympic gold medal - wow was it awesome. Ryan sweetly said, "Don't worry mom, maybe someday I can win one and you can HOLD it!" Maybe - but it would never be as precious as those 4 jewels I get to hold and touch everyday.....I wouldn't trade for it - no way.
1 comment:
I loved reading your olympic events! And I love getting to know the personalities of your kids through your writings--they are so cute! We are back in NA, I am jet lagging and so I was able to catch up on your blog. Funny how our internet is better here and it was non-existent in the States (except at the library and Panera). Love you friend, Alicia
Post a Comment