I love how the idea of "book club" for the boys has evolved into something different than for the girls.....yet the result is the same.....fun, friendship, and growth. This is Ryan's first year for a book/boys club and today was our turn to host. Our book was Big Red by Jim Kjelgaard. Since the story has themes of the outdoors, survival, friendship, and courage - Ryan wanted to make "altoid" survival kits and we talked a little about tracking bears......

Here Ryan is preparing all the "supplies" that will be packed inside the altoid tins for the survival packs. He did a great job planning for our day and thinking through what we needed and helping me with lists and shopping.

We started with the book discussion while the boys were fresh! I so enjoy hearing their perspectives on the characters, setting, conflict, and theme of the book - as well as the exposition, rising action, climax, denouement, and conclusion of the whole book! They are enthusiastic about their sharing and confident in their thoughts - even if they are different from the others. I am thankful for the
Teaching the Classics curriculum which has given the moms a guideline for these discussions.

I forgot to take pictures while we were making the kits......Oh brother! This is during their "survival" snacks of gatorade, trail mix, and fruit! Notice how different the table looks as compared to the girls group! Ha!

Handsome boys......so focused......

An "altoid" survival kit

Someone thought a few things should be added to the survival kit......

The abandoned table as the boys went out to play......

Backyard ball......
I love the personality of each boy - and the differences they bring to the group with their interests and ideas. They are all fine young men and it is a privilege to watch them build friendships. It will be exciting to watch them grow and mature over the years together. What a thrill!
No comments:
Post a Comment