Monday, March 7, 2011

Let the decluttering begin........!


I don't usually let people I've never met dictate what I do with my schedule....but the next month or so is an exception. Awhile back I picked up the book Organized Simplicity on the off chance it would give me some clarity on "simplifying." I haven't finished it but already it has been helpful. The author encourages the reader to write a family purpose statement, evaluate how we use our time, money, manage our household, and then moves into actually decluttering. I've been wondering when I could carve out the time to tackle the project - thinking maybe the summer.

I have also spent some time on the author Tsh Oxenreider's blog, Simple Mom. Great tips! So just recently she announced she would be starting a "Project Simplify" on March 7 to continue through April 8. Great! Not good timing for me! But Oh so tempting! A little bit of accountability! Accountability? With people I don't even know and some woman who claims to know about living simply? What has my world come to? The internet I guess. Well I don't think it is all bad - I mean information is power, right?

So off I go to tackle the first revealed hotspot: my wardrobe. "Wardrobe" sounds so important. I just have a closet stuffed with basic clothes and drawers full of average things. And I haven't "gone through it" in probably 4 years.....Today I tackled just the hanging clothes in the closet and probably put half of the them in the "give away/garage sale" pile. Tsh is challenging those participating to spend 5 days in each "spot" and then post before and after pictures on their blog. She is giving away prizes.....not sure how that will all play out but I am participating because......this is one of my goals every year......letting go of possessions and making daily life simpler!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Please come to our house!! I so need to do this...:)

Beth said...

That was me "Beth" above...:)