Sunday, July 17, 2011

Fun in the summer Arizona sun...running a 5K!

It is loads of fun to have kids who are willing to take risks and challenges and are up for trying new things. Merl and Ryan have been running for several months and decided to run a 5K race. Ryan and Madison are both interested in doing a triathlon in the near future but it's too hot right now so this was a compromise. They have only been running a few times a week but Ryan swims almost every day and could easily make the 3 miles so they did it "for fun." I just love what "fun" looks like for different people.

My awesome husband actually thinks exercise is "fun" so he enjoys going out and getting a good workout. The accomplishment of running the 5K is enough for him to be happy! Madison is so very similar. She loves her daily swim workouts and the joy of exercising. OK - so I am different. After being a serious athlete for so long I turned into a couch potato. If there is no competition - you are not getting me out of bed for a run.

On the other hand, fun for me is working toward the goal and the thrill of competing! I love to sweat and hurt for the cause of competition!!! I think I am a good sport - I don't have to win. I just have to do well - and improve in whatever I am working on. I think Ryan seems to be the same! He was thrilled to run with his daddy and enjoy the fun of a race - but there is a natural competitive edge in him. I could see that he was looking around at the other boys his age - and pushing through the race in hopes of a top 3 finish! I was secretly doing the same thing though not verbalizing it because I did not want to push my competitiveness on him.

It was hard for me to watch them go. Thankfully at least I had a job to do - take pictures - or I might have jumped in the race. I would have passed out at the first half mile - but all those old competitive and "love of running" juices just naturally flowed when I saw everyone in their running garb. After the race was over I was fairly sure Ryan had placed in his age category - and boy the memories I have of checking the "results" taped to the wall from my childhood came flooding back as I searched for the times/names. So nostalgic!

Never having run a 5K course before - Ryan stuck with his pop for most of his race - until the end. He finished at 27 minutes - 4th in his division! He was a little disappointed and decided he should have gone on ahead of his dad at mile two - but his chin was up and I was proud of his attitude. We hadn't even gotten to the car for the drive home and he said, "I want to enter every race coming up....that is so fun!" A boy after my own heart! I am so sad that after my last knee surgery the surgeon said running really shouldn't be my "exercise of choice". I am trying to embrace my job as photographer - but I don't know if I can do it. I'm not sure how many races I can "watch".........we will see!

Walking over to the race start

Tying on their timing chips....

Before the start....

The start of their "wave"..... the are smiling!

Still smiling after a mile or two.....

Crossing the finish line....

Ryan always finishes strong!

Here comes dad, still smiling!

Madison took care of things at home while we were "out". When we returned she had baked homemade cinnamon coffee cake! Amazing!!!!

No comments: